Thursday, June 7, 2012

There Are No Words for this Feeling

DONE!!! I finished my first collection today!! I cannot even explain the feeling of accomplishment when I put those two boxes onto the shelves in the archives. Amazing! It was great to feel like I have made a contribution to the archives. Also, it was amazing to know that I was able to start a process and be able to complete it on my own. It was absolutely wonderful. I know that I learned a lot through processing this collection, and gained a deeper understanding of how history is made through it. I feel as though everything that I read and know about different historical events have a more complex meaning to me now. That is something that as a history nerd, I find to be the most rewarding aspect of this. Again, it's hard to describe it, and honestly I don't think I have words for it.

The completion of this project means that I get to start a new one, though. Today I began researching our digital collections, because I will be making my own exhibit for Virginia Broderick, who I can already tell is a real hip lady. I will take her art, and try to organize it on our website to tell her story. I have high aspirations for this one. I want everyone who looks through her art to see her. To see her story. To see how she came to be one of the most revered religious artists in the world. I'm sitting here writing this and getting side tracked by thinking of all the different possibilities that I have with this project, and all the new things that I am going to learn. This is one of the many times that I have been truly excited to go to work, and considering I have to wake up early for it on a regular basis, that's saying a lot. Very few people know how this feels, so it's hard to describe. Without being a huge cliché, I feel as though I am in a position where there are so many opportunities to explore, discover, and learn. Now I just have to choose a path. And it's all relating to history. I love this internship.

No comments:

Post a Comment