Friday, July 6, 2012

Did not see that one coming...

Another week at the WLA done! And I'm finished going through all 41 boxes of the Virginia Broderick collection and deciding which pieces I want to put online!!! I am so excited to start that process next week! The later boxes are full of copies of her work, whether through pictures, scans, publication covers, or sketches, and it was so incredibly cool to see those!! The sketches are absolutely remarkable! I am constantly amazed at her talent! It was getting to the point where I was writing on the excel sheet of what to include "Just put the whole folder in". They are that good! I have which folders and boxes to focus on, but my plan is to just go through each folder while scanning and decide which ones I want on the spot. They are so well done that I could pick any random piece to put online and it would still be incredibly impressive. Beth had mentioned that she thought it would be a 200 item collection. I have 297 on the excel sheet and a good portion is "whole folder" or a couple "whole box" entries. I feel like I will be doing a lot of scanning in the upcoming weeks!

But then I ran into a problem. We have a bunch of her actual work, and its beautiful! I thought the photos of the paintings were good, and I was blown away with the actual paintings. I was so excited going through the "oversized" boxes that were completely full with them, and pick the ones to go online. I know I talk about how incredible they are a lot, but they truly are. And seeing the actual painting, with the most magnificent colors and technique, it was a good day at work to say the least. So in the middle of looking through them and being extremely excited, I realized the problem. They are actual pieces of art, so they are huge. They won't fit in our scanner. It was a moment of utter defeat. It's upsetting that that happened, but at the same time, I doubt they would have come up as well on the computer as they do in real life so the smaller copies are just as good. Plus, this online collection is only a sample of what we have, so not everything needs to go into it. It was just kind of a let down. But what we can scan are going to still be absolutely amazing and I'm still so excited to put them up!! This is just a little speed bump but everything will still turn out great! I am still beyond excited to get started on this leg of the project. If everyone wants to see the amazing work, they just have to make a visit to the WLA now and see everything we have to offer!!

No comments:

Post a Comment