Wednesday, July 25, 2012

What is a Mistake?

Part of me feels as though I have accomplished a lot in the past couple of days, but then part of me feels as though I have done nothing. It's a strange feeling. I have loaded everything that I scanned onto contentDM, and am starting to fill in the necessary information. That has been difficult in itself. Fun, but difficult. The first problem is that there are only so many times you can say "This is an article written about how awesome Virginia Broderick is and her rocking art skills." I mean more professional, but you know what I mean. Second, the way that I organized everything does not match exactly with how the collection is organized, so I have been going through so many boxes and at the same time that it's kind of hard to keep track. Not a big deal at all, just a little challenging. And honestly, it's nice to have a little challenges while I do this because if not, it would be a tad monotonous. I don't want to come off as complaining, because I don't intend to at all. I just wanted to show that there are different technical difficulties that I am experiencing that I never expected. These difficulties, however, are what makes the job fun. Without sound conceited, I know I am good at the historical aspect of this internship. I get that. I want something to challenge me though. I want something that throws curveballs at me that I never expected. Having to think practically for technical things is something I have not done within this context, so I appreciate the lessons it is teaching me. Like when I was processing my collection. At the end I could look back and name exactly what I could have done better, but without making the mistakes in the first place, I would have never learned. I am a HUGE proponent of making mistakes. I love mistakes. Yeah I'm not the happiest when it happens, but in the long run, mistakes are my best friend. I have made my fair share of mistakes at the WLA, but I also want to make mistakes. Not dire ones that is going to cause serious problems, but mistakes that I can look back and say "Well if I would have done blank, it would have saved time..." or something like that. Was it the best idea to upload all the pictures at once, and then go back through the entire collection, for the third time, to find who the creator is and the dimensions for specific pieces? Maybe. But I'm learning. I won't sit here and say I know everything, because I am far from it. But I do know enough to love my mistakes and grow from them. The WLA has been absolutely amazing for that. I cannot thank Beth, Kristen, and Rachel enough for giving me the room to figure things out on my own, but being there to help the second I ask. I am learning because of this internship in new and exciting ways, and that is the most important thing I could have ever asked for. Every day I realize more and more that this is the best internship that I could have ever asked for and am ridiculously grateful for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment