Thursday, July 12, 2012

Which One is Going to Take More Time?

So this week I began scanning everything!! It's really not as hard as I thought it would be. Once you have the settings the way you want, it becomes pretty standard on what to do: put a photo in, preview it, scan it, take the photo out, repeat. I generally work while listening to my iPod, and after a while I realized I was loading and scanning pictures to the rhythm of whatever song I was listening to, so I've made a game of which genre can make me go faster. The winner right now is between swing music and rap, which makes logically sense to me.

I was also trained on how to use Content DM, our program that takes the material that we uploaded onto it and put it on our digital collections website, which is also not as bad as I thought it would be. However, now I have to make the decision of whether to scan the pictures as a whole, and then load them onto Content DM, or do it one at a time. There are pros and cons to both. If I do it as a whole, then I can get into that rhythm and work faster. Also, I can look at the collection as a whole and then decide which object to upload. But to load them onto Content DM I need information that I can only get if I am still holding the object, like the dimensions or who the original creator is. So it's either slow the rhythm and potentially waste time by uploading material that I will later decide not to include, or scan everything and then have to go back through the collection again to get the information as I upload the material to CDM. I haven't decided on which one I want to do, but I have till Monday to decide and I'm sure either way will fine. It's just a matter of which one will take the least amount of time.

Besides that, I have nothing really to report. I can't wait to do a little bit more so that I can put some pictures on here of what I have been doing, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment